MY09 update Triton..

Triton in the media

MY09 update Triton..

Postby Mantis on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:00 am

I have no idea if anything has been posted up yet, but I mentioned a couple of weeks back that my stealer advised me of the changes to the new MY09 Triton, they included, front and rear facelift, 180mm longer tray, and higher engine output for diesels...

Now, the reason I am bringing this up here is I just stumbled across this article on the new MY09 Pajero, it speaks alot about the new and improved 3.2 DiD, and the 18% power increase...

Could we find this engine in upcoming Triton Models? At this stage, depending on what the new Pajero looks like, I am very much considering a new VRX Pajero to replace my Triton when lease is up...

Here's the article,

Mitsubishi Motors Australia Limited (MMAL) is proud to introduce the 2009 model year NT Pajero four-wheel drive range which adds an engine upgrade, cabin and exterior refinements, increased towing capacity and revised specifications to an already legendary driving package.

The big news for the popular four-wheel drive line-up is the introduction of an upgraded 3.2-litre turbo diesel engine across the entire range. Deemed the 4M41Common Rail DI-D, the new engine gives the Pajero a significant boost in performance, producing 147kW of power at 3,800 rpm and 441Nm of torque at 2000 rpm – an 18 per cent improvement in both power and torque over the former diesel model.

At the same time, the 4M41 engine delivers superior fuel economy of up to 13 per cent over the previous model – a real consideration for customers given current fuel prices. A new five-speed automatic transmission with sports mode, lock up and intelligent shift control is available on selected diesel variants.

Life on board the 2009 Pajero line-up has never been more comfortable. The 4M41 engine delivers new levels of refinement to the cabin and an enhanced noise insulation package, including additional sound absorbing material to key points of the vehicle, ensures increased driving pleasure for all occupants.

And while the Pajero has never been a slouch when it comes to towing the family caravan or boat, the 2009 model year update sees all long-wheel base vehicles in the range receive increased towing capacity - up to 3,000 kg from the previous model’s 2,500 kg limit.

A revised product line-up is available and two new models – the entry level GL and the family oriented GLS - are added to the range.

According to Robert McEniry, Mitsubishi’s President and Chief Executive Officer, the 2009 Pajero range is adaptable in meeting customer’s needs regardless of their design, budget or lifestyle requirements.

“The new Pajero represents a real-world improvement from the previous model and offers benefits such as an engine with more grunt, a quieter and more sophisticated cabin environment, greater towing capacity and an improved exterior aesthetic.” McEniry said.

“And when you add all this to the dynamite-value safety and performance package that Pajero has always represented - well, who could ask for anything more?”

The 2009 model year Pajero maintains Mitsubishi’s reputation for offering solid safety equipment on its passenger and off-road vehicles. With first-class passenger and driver safety, standard equipment includes Active Stability and Traction Control (ASTC), driver and passenger SRS airbags, an Anti-Lock Braking System with Brake Assist and Electronic Brake Force Distribution, and the Mitsubishi Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution (RISE) system.

With its sophisticated Mitsubishi All Terrain Technology (MATT) all-wheel drive system, Pajero is a capable, stylish, powerful and reliable vehicle for the four wheel driving enthusiast, the cross-over adventurer or the stylish suburban driver. For an enhanced four-wheel drive experience, selected variants of the 2009 range now receive a diff lock as standard on diesel models.

The highly acclaimed 3.8-litre petrol V6 MIVEC engine will continue to be offered, along with a choice of both three- or five-door body styles, and the current standard five-speed manual or optional automatic transmissions, or the upgraded automatic transmission on the new diesel engine. Engine type, transmission and body style combinations vary depending on the specification level.

Five-door variants include the GL, GLX, GLS, and the premium VRX and Exceed models.

The new entry level GL variant comes with the new 4M4I diesel engine only, mated to either a standard five-speed manual or optional new five-speed automatic transmission and offers a high standard of specifications including 17x7.5JJ steel wheels, fabric seat trim, an AM/FM CD player and either five or seven seats. Side and curtain airbags and a rear diff lock are available options.

The mid-range GLX variant carries over from the previous range, and, like the rest of the vehicles in the five-door range, is available with either the petrol or diesel engine. GLX variants also offer a choice of manual or optional automatic transmissions.

The all-new GLS model – available with either engine mated to the relevant transmissions - has been designed to appeal specifically to the family buyer, and features equipment previously only available on top-of-the-range vehicles, such as standard side and curtain airbags, rear air conditioning and side steps. Design wise, the GLS appeals to the style conscious with fog lamps, body coloured exterior appointments and a newly designed full chrome grille.

Mitsubishi’s Pajero VRX, once again available with either engine, but with automatic transmissions only, now gains full leather seat trim, power front seats, new front door trim and a lidded console, along with a rear diff lock on diesel variants. Optional appointments include the Mitsubishi Multi Communication System (MMCS) which offers a seven-inch colour touch screen with satellite navigation, reverse camera for improved safety, maintenance information, Bluetooth function and full iPod compatibility.

Top of the five-door range is the well appointed Pajero Exceed, which includes a raft of new specifications such as nine-spoke 18x7.5JJ alloy wheels, a full chrome grille and bright highlights on the exterior, and new wood and leather steering wheel, patterned instrument panel and automatic light sensing headlamps and rain sensing wipers. The Exceed models also feature an MMCS system which has been fully integrated with the Rockford Acoustic Design premium audio system and rear seat entertainment system as standard. An electric slide and tilt sunroof is an optional extra.

Two three-door variants carry over from the previous Pajero line-up – the R and the X. Both offer either engine mated to automatic transmissions only and retain the specifications available on the previous model. The RX adds side and curtain airbags as standard, as well as the stylish exterior updates of the five-door: new side steps, front mud guards and body coloured trim, and new cloth seat trim inside.

The X model receives new equipment including automatic rain sensing wipers and dusk sensing headlamps, a standard rear diff lock to diesel variants and an electric slide and tilt sunroof.

In addition to the already comprehensive list of paint and trim combinations available for the Pajero range, a new colour taken from the European range and named “Ironbark’ will now be available for GLX, GLS, VRX, and Exceed models.
Robert McEniry summed up the new 2009 model year NT Pajero as “an inspired update to a legendary vehicle.”

“Twenty-five years ago, the Pajero forged its reputation as a rugged, go-anywhere four-wheel drive. Then it blazed a trail in terms of occupant comfort and driving refinement.” McEniry said.

“With these 2009 model year updates, the new Pajero can go anywhere, with more power, more efficiency, more comfort, more towing ability, and more efficiency. It is little wonder so many people “Love that Car!””

Engines
The 2009 model year Pajero employs both a new diesel engine and a carry-over petrol engine from the previous model line up.
The new diesel engine is a high powered direct injection diesel engine named the 4M41Common Rail DI-D. It delivers a handy 147kW of power at 3,800rpm and a very useable 441Nm of torque at 2000 rpm – an 18 per cent improvement in both power and torque over the former diesel model.

At the same time, the 4M41 engine delivers superior fuel economy – a real consideration for customers given current fuel prices – of up to 13 per cent over the previous model.

To promote a much quieter and more efficient mode of operation, the 4M41 has received significant modifications:

An adjustment to the injection system has improved combustion efficiency
The intake port to the cylinder head has been upgraded
A larger size variable geometry turbo charger has been adopted for enhanced power delivery
The swirl ratio and port form of the Swirl Control Valve has been modified.
An improved Emission Control System includes upgrades to the airflow, intake air temperature and boost pressure sensors, and EGR valves and coolers.

The new diesel engine conforms to Euro 4 Emissions controls.

Pajero’s 3.8 litre V6 SOHC 24-valve petrol engine with MIVEC (Mitsubishi’s variable valve timing), introduced with the NS model in 2006, produces 184kW@6,000 rpm and 329Nm at 2,750 rpm and has often been praised for its available power and efficiency.

Switching between high and low speed cam profiles to drive the twin intake valves, the Pajero’s 3.8-litre V6 petrol engine produces a very flexible power delivery with on-road relaxed performance across the full rev range. This engine is also Euro 4 compliant and LPG compatible.
Mantis

Re: MY09 update Triton..

Postby subi_man on Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:49 pm

13% better economy and more powahhhh... good stuff from Mits :P
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Blue on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:10 pm

Hmmm... mate who is coming to wombat with me just picked up his '09 plated Triton GLX-R - aside from a pretty driveline icon on the dash(detailing whether or not you are in 2wd or4wd) it's identical, including power and tray length... Also the tweeters on the "A" pillar are exposed but that's it...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mantis on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:34 am

Same with my bro in laws VR Blue..

The dealer did say to me though that these updates would be landing in around March 09??

I guess all we can do is wait and see.
Mantis

Postby Blue on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:56 am

Ahhh... Stupid idea lengthening the tub, IMO, wonder how many peeps are gonna buy the wrong canopy or pick up a hard top on ebay that doesn't fit...???
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Buzzy on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:43 am

Your right there blue.
Prob take ARB another 12 months to bring out a canopy for it.
Should have been longer to start off with.

Gee I can winge :roll:
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Blue on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:01 am

Buzzy wrote:Your right there blue.
Prob take ARB another 12 months to bring out a canopy for it.
Should have been longer to start off with.

Gee I can winge :roll:

180mm still means tail gate down for my dirt bike so I could care less, really... Packing for hols, so far I haven't said "gee, 180mm would make all the difference"...lol

You're right though, it should have been longer from the get-go...
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby andyj on Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:57 pm

If I got another 180mm I would be happy

OOPS we're talking about the tub SORRY ;) ;) ;) :oops: :oops: :oops:
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby irsa76 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:43 am

I'd be suprised if the MY09 is anything other then a minor spec fiddle. Stretching the tub, while nice, would be a big expense that probably really isn't needed. It would also bring into question why the running changes in the last couple of weeks such as curtain airbags. Why introduce them now when a new model/facelift is due in a couple of months?
Of course I wouldn't mind a longer tub, if the added length is in the wheelbase NOT over hang.
irsa76

Postby Homer on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:57 am

Good Point Irsa. I for one would like any extra length I can get :oops: but it would be a real trade off with more overhang.
I would think a wheel base change would be a pretty major upgrade?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:57 pm

Had a brand new GLX-R in the shop today. Apart from Super Select (I did wonder if they would notice if it went back with Easy Select), and visible tweeters, about the only difference I spotted was a badge under the (sound) head unit proclaiming "high output sound" or something similar. Turned up the radio and yes it does sound better than the standard (good bass and very crisp, clear highs). The head unit itself looks identical. The seats were noticably less comfortable than mine so I can only assume that mine are slowly moulding to shape.

Paint quality, especially on the tub, seems to have seen some attention also. Still not really good but improving. This one was black - made me feel sorry for the new owner and comfortable with my choice of the red.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby sam on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:11 pm

Mid year there are meant to be some major updates to the ML like 5 speeeeed auto's, improved NVH levels, better and more comfortable front seats (hopefully with height adjust for the driver) and improved power and NM's ;) :D

Only thing I wouldn't want is a longer tray as the ML is long enough imho when in the tight stuff off road :roll:
sam

Postby rick on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:23 pm

180mm would ruin the good turning circle,and make it hard to park in the silly parking bays. i think its long enough now.
i think im a lesbian trapped in a mans body!!!
rick

Return to Triton News