ECU upgrade by MRT

Anything Triton related

ECU upgrade by MRT

Postby Wallace on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:20 pm

Somewhere and I can not find it someone posted a link to MRT regarding their upgrade to the standard ECU. I contacted MRT and the results are very interesting. MRT has been in the performance business for a lot of years and have an exceptional reputation. Here is the reply regarding remapping the standard ECU as fitted to the TRI.

Thanks for your enquiry.

We are still in the early stages of development from a tuning
perspective, however early prospects appear good in terms of performance
gains (50Nm+ and 40hp+). I can't go into a great deal of detail right
now as we are still in the process of finalizing testing and
development, however more will be available on the website over coming
weeks.

As the software we use (EcuTek) is designed to interface directly with
the OEM interface and chipset, I can't confirm how fitment of the DP
chip will impact things. If the DP chip upgrade runs the same protocols
as the OEM chipset then programming won't be an issue, however you won't
see cumulative gains (eg DP chip gives 20hp over standard, EcuTek tuning
gives 40hp, you won't get 60hp!). ECU mapping is designed to get optimal
gains from your engine, DP do so via a chip upgrade, we will do so via
an upgrade to your OEM ECU but both will involve changing several of the
same settings (fuel delivery, boost control, injection timing, etc,
etc).

I have asked Brett to keep me informed of the developments and will hopefully keep you posted.

Take care now :D :D :D
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Re: ECU upgrade by MRT

Postby Bammo on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:44 pm

I heard from MRT's Perth distributor this morning to say that the upgrade was delayed whilst they completed another system for the WRX but it wouldn't be long now. He didn't quote power figures but did indicate the price to re-flash the system was $2000!

Not sure I want to spend that sort of $$$ myself....
Bammo

Postby Jitsukablue on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:49 pm

I forced myself, to have a long hard think about this topic, and concluded suspension and lockers are more important than power. I've never been offroad and wished for more power. Driving around the burbs, obviously power would be nice, but on a commute too and from work, I can't justify spending that sort of money on software, when I can get serious suspension hardware for that price! But each to their own.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby MonsterTriton on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:21 pm

chips ranges from 185-220hp and 400-500nm of torque.
that are also compatiable piggiebacks with other units..... as mix matching different ecu will significantly improve performance to.
THERE IS A MONSTER IN ALL OF US
MonsterTriton

Postby Sapient on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:07 pm

Ok, well as noted in another thread, MRT are working towards offering the EcuTek factory ECU upgrade for ML DiD Tritons.

I spent a few hours at MRT this morning while the boys interrogated my Triton's ECU, and confirmed that yes indeed the flash upgrade is a goer, and the Aussie ECU is almost exactly the same as the Pommie ECU, where EcuTek have already had great success upgrading diesel Tritons. As noted above, power, and perhaps more importantly torque, is greatly increased from factory standard.

Perhaps the single biggest advantage to my way of thinking is that the upgrade works on a huge range of variables to deliver the power, rather than a piggy back solution which simply hijacks the injector pulses. This would also mean the upgrade is more consistent in its application, potentially less harmful, and infinitely more tunable to your requirements. These are my thoughts, not facts as presented by MRT.

On the back of this I have joined the MRT Vehicle Development Program (MVD) and over the next few weeks will let Brett and the guys at MRT tinker with the Triton. This will allow them to apply the upgrade, dyno it, road test it, and prove to themselves that they have achieved the best possible outcome while still staying within the boundaries of local emission laws and the mechanical limits of the vehicle. Once this is complete, it is MRT's intention to offer the upgrade as an off the shelf sale to Triton owners. Effectively all the development will be done and tested before its made available for sale. Later there could be upgrades available which combine the ECU upgrade and bolt on upgrade (eg: exhaust) offered as all-in-one upgrade package. I can almost smell that newly welded 3" exhaust from here :)

Pricing is yet to be set, but Brett has a pretty good idea what he reckons its worth. Having said that, as a community of like minded Triton lovers it cant hurt to let him know what you think is a fair price....!

MRT are something of an institution for performance upgrades here in Sydney, and I have to say that my visit to them today did nothing to harm their already very impressive reputation. Brett was friendly, accommodating and yet very professional. They have a huge pedigree in warming up Subis, and Brett was willing to admit that 4WD's and turbo diesels was not something they had done alot of in the past. However I cannot fault their approach to this point. Both Brett and Chris, the workshop manager, were very quick off the mark to point out they realised that outright power is probably not the be-all and end-all in 4WD's, but torque is!!! More than anything else, I as the owner of the vehicle have ultimate say in the tuning outcomes I get.

I will be making all images, dyno and road test reports available in this thread as it happens. I would also love to hear some feedback from the more mechanically brilliant among us on what I should be looking out for etc......wish me luck!

PS: I have invited Brett from MRT to jump into this thread and share the dyno test results from the UK with us.....make him welcome :) They are also looking for owners of current model diesel Pajeros and Navaras to join the MVD program, spread the word. I reckon having a quality tuning house looking at releasing performance upgrades for turbo diesels can only be good for the whole after market.

MRT website: http://mrtperformance.com.au/
MVD Program Info: http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=2341
EcuTek Website: http://www.ecutek.com.au/
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby FreestyleCab on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:31 pm

Sapient,

Good on you for trail blazing.....
I hope it all goes well, as I would be interested in going the MRT way instead of getting a piggyback ECU.
I hope Brett from MRT does make his way onto the forum.
It would be a bit of a coup for us Triton owners if we had this safer type of performance upgrade available and the other two new dot net utes don't!!!!
Brett
FreestyleCab

Postby Homer on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:11 am

Well done mate, I look forward to hearing the good news on your new rocket ship :) and welcome to Brett wherever he may be lurking.

Too bad they can't come up with something for the 3.5l petrol - but i'm in Brissy anyway - too far to go for a tune up I expect.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Sapient on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:30 am

Homer wrote:Too bad they can't come up with something for the 3.5l petrol - but i'm in Brissy anyway - too far to go for a tune up I expect.

I think you will find they are looking for petrol Tritons too...should of made mention of this earlier. Always forget the poor petrol cousins ;)
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:42 am

Just another quick thought.
I would think there would be some different "signals" from a diesel with auto?

Very keen to see how this progresses.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby subi_man on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:58 am

Having dealt with Brett & Chris on Subaru reflashes in the past, I've been very happy with the outcome (one was even a reflash-by-mail where I pulled the Subaru ECU from the car and sent it down to them).

I do hope that ECUtek pricing has dropped a little though, I've been out of that information loop for a while now..

Cheers
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:10 am

Sapient wrote:
Homer wrote:Too bad they can't come up with something for the 3.5l petrol - but i'm in Brissy anyway - too far to go for a tune up I expect.

I think you will find they are looking for petrol Tritons too...should of made mention of this earlier. Always forget the poor petrol cousins ;)

Yes the elitist attitude of this forum is deplorable ;)

I'm wondering if they're in Brisvegas. If so I'm a "pick me" to be the guinea pig.

Now back to what I was doing...Iam not worthy....I am not worthy....
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby brett Middleton on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:35 pm

hello eveyone, I will do my best to keep you informed I am chasing up0 some dyno data to post here, please help us, if you ask a question adn we dont reply, its not cause we dont care, its just we cant check every forum!

so simply e-mail me and I will jump back on line, in the meantime I have also set up a update forum thread here

http://www.mrtperformance.com.au/forums ... php?t=6696

cheers

Brett
brett Middleton

Postby Wallace on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:15 pm

Brett.
Welcome aboard and I would say we are all looking forward to the results. :D :D :D ;)
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby Homer on Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:23 am

Hey Brett. I emailed you yesterday re doing MVD on my 08 petrol Triton, but after reading your link realise you only do it in Sydney?

If you have anyone doing it in Bris I would be more than interested in both ECU and suspension.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Sapient on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:42 pm

Small Update:

Bench Testing is complete and MRT are now confident to let me live with the re-mapped ECU for my trip to Brisbane and beyond this week. So its back to MRT on Thursday for the upgrade, then off to Brissy Friday. Should be a good test, fully loaded, long drive, easy to measure fuel economy, good opportunity to get off road and test also.

Will give a full report when I get back.
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Greedy on Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:51 pm

Looking forward to the results. Hope it all goes well for you
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby subi_man on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:23 pm

^^ what he said, good luck and safe driving mate
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Sapient on Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:49 am

Just a quick update, will provide more info later as I am off to Hunter Valley for the weekend.

Drove to Brisbane and back plus a small amount of incidental travel around Gold Coast and Brisbane, approx 1900km by my rough calculations. 90% of the driving was done while loaded up with kids, dog, wife, and the ute bed full of typical holiday making crap.

First impression = HOLY SHIT! the lox down torque is immense. The mid range power is very solid right up to 3400rpm. Engine is much smoother and quieter, and not a trace of black exhaust even while flogging the arse off it. Pretty impressive I must say.

I don't have dyno figures, and haven't even spoken to MRT to see what was done completely, but the initial changes are good. Need to talk to them about how much is left in it to get as it feels as though there is more there yet.

Fuel economy seems relatively unchanged, but I need to sit down and work it out as I am still getting used to the change in fuel use since fitting the larger tyres.

Will post up some more thoughts when I get back to work and have a rest! ;)
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rushN on Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:48 am

Great news! Keep us up to date with progress.

I'm excited :D
rushN

Postby Jitsukablue on Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:06 am

You lucky, lucky bugger... nice work though!
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby Homer on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:09 am

Bastard

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby subi_man on Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:45 pm

Good stuff Sapient :P
Andrew

subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Sapient on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:05 pm

OK more complete report, now I am at work I have more time to myself :)

Calculated fuel economy for the trip was an average of 10.5lt/100km, this seems pretty reasonable considering I have the larger tyres fitted now added to the fact I wasn't being gentle in my "research" to test the improvements made.

I would describe the power and torque as insistent rather than urgent, there is great walls of torque behind you, and it feels like it would take a lot of load to slow it. Kinda like body surfing, once the wave of torque is behind you it just keeps pushing and pushing. I was able to start at the bottom of Mooney Mooney Bridge at 100km/h and accelerate up the hill to 130km/h+ easily and stayed in 5th gear all the way.

Also had the chance to do some off road hill climbing on the weekend. 4lo, 2nd gear, no throttle and she just walked up a very rocky incline like it wasnt there (except for the kids being thrown around in the back!)

I cant wait to hitch up a big load on a trailer and see what it does, cause I have a feeling that it will be damned impressive. Its great to see and feel such usable levels of torque, and there is a noticeable improvement in power too, but its not like being shot out of a cannon or anything.

Most impressive by far, is how well behaved the engine is. No nasty diesel rattle, no surging, no black smoke. She runs quiet, smooth and responsive, dare I say it, like a petrol engine!

There are some improvements I would like to see. You do need to hunt for the right rev range to get into the juicy torque curve, and the seat of the pants feel is telling me there is more room for improvement with power to match the increase in torque.

For me, the test of the upgrade was letting Mrs Sapient drive the car. She knew nothing of the work done, and took the Triton to the shops. On her return she had noticed no change. "Nothing?" I quizzed. "It needs a bloody wash!" she retorted. Its our 10 year anniversary in 3 months, god love her! :)

This got me to thinking, what does 20% feel like? I expected a 20-30% increase, and probably got it, but Mrs Sap couldn't feel the extra 20%, and to be honest my first impression was, this aint 20%! But it probably is, especially in torque, the dyno will prove it I am sure. But I can tell you, I will be looking for more power before I am done on the dyno. Which, by the way, is the next step. A step which is unlikely to happen until the new year, so until then......stay tuned. ;)
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Buzzy on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:38 pm

Im loving this thread sapient 8-)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:00 pm

Bastard

Homer
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to General Discussion