HF RADIO

HF RADIO

Postby trackerdan on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone has/knows about HF radios, not sure if I should get one, going on the Canning stock route this year and thought it might be a good idea to get a HF radio or should I get a Satphone (expensive phone plans!)

Cheers
trackerdan

Re: HF RADIO

Postby Choady on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:37 am

Id hire a Satphone for your trip. Reasonably cost effective and not expensive if you dont use them !

Its the ultimate as cheap insurance - You can hire epirbs too. The one time you need it to save your life, the $300 or $400 bucks will seem trivial. Think about it, you roll your car........or son gets a snake bite........and you really need the flying doctors........ :cry:

Im not sure how much a HF is though, or the cost of purchasing sat phone/call plans etc
Choady

Re: HF RADIO

Postby subi_man on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:54 am

Looked into this myself for our trip in July. Choady is right - I really think hiring a satellite phone would be the way to go. My reasoning was it's something anyone can use if it's YOU that gets injured for example and it's easily retrieved and still useable if your car is destroyed by fire or accident.

Some hire places even allow you to put your own SIM card in their phone, so it's as if nothing has changed with your contact details.

Do a google.au search for satellite phone hire, make some calls and take your pick! eg. http://www.fastwave.com.au

Hope that helps and enjoy your trip!! 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Return to Electrical