Recovery points

Bull bars, sliders, wheel carriers etc!

Recovery points

Postby mr challenger on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi every one has any one got ideas on recovery points for MN Triton i don't trust the standed tie down points.For front and back
mr challenger

Recovery points

Postby fridgie on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:38 pm

If you have a towbar, recovery hitch is easiest option. For front, fit an xrox bar, can fit recovery hooks to it not like ARB/TJM bars ;)
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Re: Recovery points

Postby al coholic on Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:46 pm

A bridal strap (or tree trunk protector) used between the two existing front points helps spread the load aswell :idea: If a winching point or just a tow is needed...........use the open hook.......the thin loop on the drivers side is only a tie down point. ;)

Although there is no load rating on them.......no one here has been able to break them.......and some of us have been stuck pretty good :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby trouble on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:18 am

X2 ;)
I Love The Mods!
Ban everyone!
trouble

Postby Diddy on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:36 am

towball is good enuff for me. with a 15ton rating it would be a hell of alot tuffer than the factory recovery tow points . i have been recovering people off the towball for as long as i have been driving and never had a problem and we use to use truckies chains (6mm) to snatch out bogged gear thats right we use to use them just as you would a snatch strap and never did any damage to the towball or chain .
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby motoz on Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:00 am

Diddy wrote:towball is good enuff for me. with a 15ton rating it would be a hell of alot tuffer than the factory recovery tow points .

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Using the towball as a snatch point and placing massive sheer forces on it is just plain wrong on so many levels.

There's many documented cases of the towball acting like a steel missile. If your going to use the bar either add a shackle reciever or if there's no other option thread the strap into the bar and just use the pin.

The towball should never be shockloaded !!!

Some lite reading...

http://www.examiner.com.au/news/local/n ... 40077.aspx

:(
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NTBB on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:13 pm

I prefer the strap threaded in to the tow bar and held by the pin....same strength as a reciver with less stuff to come flying at you at warp speed.... :shock:
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby Diddy on Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:47 pm

gee guys where is your sense of adventure
Diddy

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:06 pm

Scary guy diddy!

Might be worth checking the length of your chassis.

Accidents don't happen - they're caused!
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Recovery points

Postby fridgie on Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Adventure yes, suicidal tendencies no :evil:

You wouldn't swing your loaded rifle around like a bat would you? Same reason you don't recover off a towball....it has the ability to kill!!

Your post might give someone the confidence to try it out....what do YOU do then if YOUR 'advice' results in someone else's death?? :?

if you posted this just to get a rise or solicit a response from us, congrats, it worked.

If you believe this is a safe method of recovery, i am astounded and amazed in the levels of stupidity within the human condition :roll:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Bad Kitty on Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:45 pm

Well said Fridgie.

To be honest Diddy, I thought you were more experienced at 4WD'ing and I had a certain level of respect for you, but reading your post has made me wonder :?

Now having recovered something the same weight as the Triton, there is NO WAY I would use a tow ball - that's just crazy and extremely dangerous. In order to recover the VW yesterday, I removed the tow ball, and inserted the large D bolt, shackle thingy (ok, girl moment) through the hole where the tow ball was and placed the looped ending of the strap through there.

I can honestly say if I EVER saw someone attempt a recovery, using the tow ball as a device, I would walk up and slap them across the face for being so bloody stupid. :evil:
Bad Kitty

Postby Blue on Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:01 pm

Bad Kitty wrote:Well said Fridgie.

To be honest Diddy, I thought you were more experienced at 4WD'ing and I had a certain level of respect for you, but reading your post has made me wonder :?

Now having recovered something the same weight as the Triton, there is NO WAY I would use a tow ball - that's just crazy and extremely dangerous. In order to recover the VW yesterday, I removed the tow ball, and inserted the large D bolt, shackle thingy (ok, girl moment) through the hole where the tow ball was and placed the looped ending of the strap through there.

I can honestly say if I EVER saw someone attempt a recovery, using the tow ball as a device, I would walk up and slap them across the face for being so bloody stupid. :evil:

Make sure you slap them with their own towball - towballs are for towing, NOT shock loading...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joe on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:04 pm

Diddy wrote:towball is good enuff for me. with a 15ton rating it would be a hell of alot tuffer than the factory recovery tow points . i have been recovering people off the towball for as long as i have been driving and never had a problem and we use to use truckies chains (6mm) to snatch out bogged gear thats right we use to use them just as you would a snatch strap and never did any damage to the towball or chain .

I guess the general opinion is that you just don't recover from a towball under any circumstances. Safe recoveries is the most important part of any 4WD trip. Get that wrong and you may not be coming home.

>THIS< is the thread for recovery technique discussion.

Please keep this thread for discussion on recovery points for the ML and MN.
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby mr challenger on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:02 am

Thanks all for the replies.I won't be using the tow ball that's plane blady stupid
mr challenger

Postby Diddy on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:30 pm

mr challenger wrote:Thanks all for the replies.I won't be using the tow ball that's plane blady stupid

thats your choice mate
Diddy

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:56 pm

The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Diddy wrote:
mr challenger wrote:Thanks all for the replies.I won't be using the tow ball that's plane blady stupid

thats your choice mate

And the choice of all sensible forum members. Leave it be Tristan, this thread is supposed to be about recovery points for Tritons not attempted suicide/homicide by people who should know better.

Future posts that are off topic in this thread will be deleted.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:47 pm

Okay, taking a deep breath here before posting again.

There have been various posts during my time on this forum about recovery points. The broadly accepted consensus seems to be that:

* On the front one can tow from the hook on the passenger side with care (I've not heard of any breaking to date)
* The closed loop on the driver's side is less robust
* Use of a bridle or equaliser strap across the two front points might be acceptable (query this a little - I think I'd be game but the jury is still out from what I can tell)
* Some front bars (eg xrox) have rated points built into them
* Non tow bar equipped models can be fitted with OEM tow hooks which bolt to the rear of the chassis rails and are fitted to some of the lower spec models in the range
* Tow bar equipped models can use a recovery hitch
* ARB rear bars are fitted with 2 closed loops but also with stickers warning that they are not to be used for recovery purposes

There was also a thread a long time ago now, possibly by 4wd26 (?) where attempts were made to calculate the size/thickness etc of an acceptable piece of steel if someone wanted to fabricate a front recovery point.

It is also by now customary to joke that Tritons don't need recovering as often as other models and that is why there are no pre-manufactured options on the market.

None of this demonstrates much in the way of progress.

On prior occasions when the subject has come up I've googled and surfed the net generally looking for a pre-fabbed option. I'm yet to find one. I also emailed a couple of places that sell recovery points asking if they are available for Tritons. I'm yet to receive any replies but that is probably an answer of itself.

So, is there anyone out there that has ever found any for sale? If not, does anyone know of an outlet that is likely to be game to manufacture some? Can anyone else sniff a future group buy?

For my part I'd be keen to have some proper rated recovery points on the front of my vehicle. You often see such recovery points as a requirement when trips (not necessarily NewTriton trips) are advertised but none of us could honestly say we comply at the moment (AFAIK). Besides anything that makes recoveries safer is something I think most of us would endorse.

With a reminder of the need to keep this thread on topic, and remembering the whole point of the original post, does anyone have anything useful/helpful to contribute to this ongoing discussion?

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:15 pm

This doesn't exactly relate to Triton but should give a good idea of the strength that Mitsubishi build into their hooks.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=120&d=1186753802
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby snowman on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:17 pm

need login Chris. is it video or text?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joe on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Here 'tis

Click to view larger picture
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby snowman on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:23 pm

thanks Joe.

so any Paj owners can compare ours to theirs?

are they the same welded type hook arrangement?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:30 pm

The ones on my NM were very similar to those on the Triton.

Oh, and thanks Joe. Forgot about the login.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:35 pm

Yep welded type arrangement.

For those that havn't seen this before, I was on a forum trip with the guys.
Triton was loaded- 2.5 tonne towing a 2 tonne van
boggy ground so add in friction etc.

Used a drag chain on the front "hook" with no ill effects

Disclaimer- loads were static- controlled. If something broke there would be limited additional energy.
There were no "shock loads"

So the stock hook is plenty strong- but visible inspection before use of any equipment (hook/ welds for rust bending- check out the bolts attaching the towbar if going to use that) or the chain or in another situation the webbing on a snatch strap/ sling. Take your time- safety is more important than the vehicle ALWAYS......
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby 4wd26 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:46 pm

I had another look at the front of mine tonight- have looked before as well. Going to be mighty difficult to construct IMO. Chassis has ripples for crush tubes

But I will put my hand up for one for each side- if it can be done.
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Next

Return to Exterior Mods