Ecutek ECU reflash for 08-09 Tritons only - interested?

Ecutek ECU reflash for 08-09 Tritons only - interested?

Postby Jitsukablue on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:34 am

I happened across an remarkably busy, unmarked building on my way back from the lunch bar at work, there was a dyno etc and what looked like Subarus being heavily modified for rallying. I spoke to a guy in there about ECU reflashing, and some interesting things came out of it.

Anyhow, long and short of it is, Ecutek is working on a ECU reflash for the 08-09 Triton, but not the years before! May I suggest that anyone who is interested in an ECU reflash, over a piggyback, to get in touch with Ecutek and beg, plead, whine etc. for them to release it on all the new model Tritons. They can't be that different FFS. I assume the new Tritons share a common ECU with the Lancer?

If you can't be bothered get in touch with them, just post on the forum your expression of interest and we'll see if they're prepared to play ball.

Ears to the ground boys.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Re: Ecutek ECU reflash for 08-09 Tritons only - interested?

Postby Homer on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:32 pm

What does the ECU reflash do?
I've skipped most of these posts as all the go fast or techo bits are for oilers and mines not one. But if you're talking Lancers (Evo's?) then sounds like something I could do.
Any info for an obviously low techie like myself would be appreciated.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Jitsukablue on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:34 pm

All the fuel timings, injection amount, turbo boost (and everything else) is controlled by the ECU (Engine Control Unit). They modify the code to get more out of the engine in a safer way (IMHO) than a piggyback unit (all the ones discussed so far are piggybacks).
They're only of benefit for turbocharged engines, so your V6 might be able to get power/torque, but only if MMAL have detuned it to comply with insurance ratings etc (which is possible). Compare your engine to what they offer with the same engine through the range and you'll get a good idea what the story is (IE Pajero).
It's already established that the full turbo boost only comes in at higher rev ranges, so for starters, more power down low would be a good thing.
Jitsukablue

Postby MonsterTriton on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:47 pm

you can refalsh your ecu, though your warrenty is automaticlly voided!

as for ecus, i also have a monster ecu, a complete replacement for the stock ecu, fully capable of modifing everything, not to menation cool features like drag launch controll etc....
THERE IS A MONSTER IN ALL OF US
MonsterTriton

Postby Jitsukablue on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:08 pm

What? And installing your ECU wouldn't void the warranty? MMAL wouldn't have a leg to stand on if the stock ECU was upgraded to a product they will be selling in the near future over here anyway. How could they possibly justify it (voiding the warranty)? My concern over replacement ECUs, are:
A) It's obviously a replacement - where as stock upgraded is undetectable in the dealerships
B) How do I know all the stock ECU features are still there and or haven't been compromised.

Do provide more details as I'm interested in the ECU you talk about. Is it the same as the stock ECU, can it be read by the dealership, and even if so, will they throw a wobbler when they see it?
Jitsukablue

Postby MonsterTriton on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:26 am

replacing the stock ecu or reflashing it will void the warrenty. a simple piggieback system wont void it, as its a simple plug and play, you can remove it in 5mintues, where all modified settings is set back to stock, without any traces.
thus removing a piggieback in 5mintues will result into the exact same stock readings and settings. thus if you remove it, mitsubishi cant tell.
reflashing or changing the complete ecu will ofcourse void the warrenty. thus i have never recommended to change into a different ecu not to menation to modify the exsisting ecu. mitsubishi will know as soon as you send it for a service.

plus you cant exactly change the ecu, or change the program before a schedule service, unless you want to keep paying for it.

does that make sense???
THERE IS A MONSTER IN ALL OF US
MonsterTriton

Postby subi_man on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:52 am

ECUtek has had a good name amongst Subaru modders, BUT it's very expensive especially when there were many other alternatives out there. It is often deemed safer for your engine that a piggyback chip because as Jitsuka says the fuel timings, injection amount, turbo boost etc is still controlled by the factory ECU. On Subi's I've had both ECUtek and Unichip (equivalent to a DTronic) and both had their pros & cons.

Would be interesting to see what poewr ECUtek could safely get out from a Triton 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:53 am

OK, as I thought. Yet again something really only for the oilers. Wish they'd come out with some performance options for the petrol engines :cry:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Buzzy on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:52 am

Homer wrote:OK, as I thought. Yet again something really only for the oilers. Wish they'd come out with some performance options for the petrol engines :cry:

Supercharge it :mrgreen:
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:12 am

I like your style Buzzy!!!!

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Naff on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:49 am

All factory engines are tuned differently - and normally very lean - so a ECU reflash is only optimizing the engine. Surely Ecutek could provide before and after type documentation that would ensure that what has been done wouldn't void warranty. Mitsubishi still have to prove that whatever happens is a result of the 'change'.

On the other hand, a piggyback is tricking the car with different values - it is intercepting the sensors, then 'optimizing' them, sending dummy signals to the ECU. I reckon it's all a bit risky!

ECU reflash has got to be much safer.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Wallace on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:36 pm

System is developed by Brett Middleton from MRT last time I contacted him the programm was in the finishing stages! It is expensive but the performance advantage over the plug and play systems are immense. I will tryu and find the email he sent and post the expected figures, or you could simply contact him at www.mrt.com.au

We are still in the early stages of development from a tuning
perspective, however early prospects appear good in terms of performance
gains (50Nm+ and 40hp+). I can't go into a great deal of detail right
now as we are still in the process of finalizing testing and
development, however more will be available on the website over coming
weeks.

As the software we use (EcuTek) is designed to interface directly with
the OEM interface and chipset, I can't confirm how fitment of the DP
chip will impact things. If the DP chip upgrade runs the same protocols
as the OEM chipset then programming won't be an issue,
ECU mapping is designed to get optimal
gains from your engine, DP do so via a chip upgrade, we will do so via
an upgrade to your OEM ECU but both will involve changing several of the
same settings (fuel delivery, boost control, injection timing, etc,
etc).

Hope this helps clarify things a little.

Cheers
Ben

:D :D :D
The loneless road is the one you walk alone
Support Beyondblue
You never know when you will need the help.
Wallace

Postby Jitsukablue on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:39 pm

Naff, I think Monster and I will have to agree to disagree. There's no way a dealership could detect a retuned manufacturer's ECU by interrigating it with their equipment. Okay so the drive might be a give away, but they'd have to prove the modification caused the warranty claim. Seeing that the new uprated Triton being released (to compete with TRD Hilux) should have the same warranty with the same hardware with more power, it's just not possible to argue down that line.
Engine maps are tuned to get the figures MMAL wants, the engine is capabale of far more. Aftermarket chips can't change boost pressure or anything else, other than how much fuel is delivered and perhaps how delayed the fuel is. I prefer the ECU road, as the ECU is still monitioring accurate data, and evey component in the drive train can be tweaked and monitored.

Thanks for that Wallace, that's what I was looking for, confirmation. mmmm, more power and torque.... I emailed Ecutek, but no response, must have been MTR I needed to email!
Jitsukablue

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:27 pm

If I was going to put my money somewhere looking for performance it would be in this.

Tentatively put me down as interested pending price information (and the requirement for the ECU to be delivered to Perth- that would be asking too much)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Jitsukablue on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:17 pm

I heard back from MRT/Ecutek, they are looking for lab rats who are interested in significantly discounted reflash rates. I offered my services in Perth, but I think they're only interested in Sydney. If you live in Sydney, and want your ECU "chipped", contact MTU would be my advise. PM me if you struggle to get in touch with them.
Jitsukablue

Postby Sapient on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:39 am

COOL! I rang em. I am on this list, I expect to hear back from them next week.
20-30HP improvement with 20-30% increase in mid range torque......sounds bloody good to me!

Apparently they have proven figures and results from doing this in the US, they just need to see how the local emmision compliance stuff will affect it........
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jitsukablue on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:20 am

What's the go Sapient.... waiting oh so patiently....
Jitsukablue

Postby Naff on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:01 am

There's another thread covering this Jitsuka... plenty of information in that one http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1613&p=27281&hilit=ecutek#p27281
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jitsukablue on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:16 pm

Yeah, looks like that has just been updated, wanted to hear from Sapient rather than ecu tek....
Jitsukablue

Postby Sapient on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:26 pm

Nothing to add at the moment........ trust me, I will blab on for hours if anything changes ;)
Sapient
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Electrical