trailer axle length to match triton ?

Need something to get you rolling?

trailer axle length to match triton ?

Postby Saintash on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:02 pm

Hey guys...

ive tried searching the forum and the offset rims and axle lengths is confusing me, the closest i found was 69 inches ...
i have two hubs off a wrecked ML triton and 4 rims off the same ML Triton.. i want to put them onto a 45 or 50mm square axle too track the same as my tow vehicle (ML Triton) how do i measure the correct length axle i will need or has someone allready done the calculations and can give me the short answer?

appreciate your help guys.
Saintash

Re: trailer axle length to match triton ?

Postby cyberhonky on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Id think using the hubs you have will present more problems than std 6 stud trailer hubs. Easiest way to get the correct width is to tell a trailer mob what distance you need from stud plate to studplate ;)
Grammar: Lesson 1- Capitalisation.

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Saintash on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:12 pm

Thanks Cyberhonky, i originally thought of the same thing, but the only 6 stud hub they had was the cruiser type and the middle hole .. forgive my terminology.. would not fit a triton factory rim on it because the rim has a smaller hole... hahah that sounds so noobish.. but hope you get what i mean..

thanks again..
Saintash

Postby cyberhonky on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:16 pm

Dunno where you're located but have a look at the tech guides on www.spinnythings.com.au that might give you a heads up
Grammar: Lesson 1- Capitalisation.

Capitalisation (n), is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
cyberhonky
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Bump this up- I did have a rear diff at home that I could measure- but its been used by others.
hoping someone might be along to help.

BUT purely theretical......

from the MMA brocure
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/media/32377/triton.pdf
track is 1515mm

Now this wheel track is "from the centre of one wheel to the other"
have to take into acount the offset (you are using factory alloys so +38 offset)

so hub distance should be (make sure you confirm this)
1515+38+38= 1591mm

And I know what you mean but the cruiser hubs- main reason most use other rims.

I do know of some that "bore out the factory alloys" to fit a cruiser hub- not my recomendation.

good luck with the above- would love to know if the calcs are correct and how much this process costs

cheers
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby har05l on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:25 pm

Bumping up an old one as I need this answered.

I measured hub to hub and came up with roughly 1430mm.

From what I've read you add 100mm to the 1430mm figure and that is what the overall length is :?

Best bet is I guess will be to call and perhaps they keep records.

I'll confirm this one day for future ref ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:47 am

For anybody in the future that intends to do a tri trailer the axle length you'll want is 66" :D
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:16 am

Hay Haro, did you actually measure your rear axle and got 66'' (1676.4mm)?

Lucky I checked mine because I just measured it to be 1596mm :-?

I'm about to order an axle for my new trailer that I'm getting built. Maybe the Glx has a narrower axle? But I doubt it..:???:
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:40 am

I am in the process of changing the suspension on my trailer and having it so it runs the same hubs and wheels as my GLX

the starting point for me was the width of the chassis of the trailer, and after an original mixup on the suppliers side we have ended up with an axle length of 68" that should enable me to run the 6.5" alloys with 245 wide tyres as well as the 6" steel rims with 205 tyres
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:21 am

So what length was your Glx axle?

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:25 am

srb wrote:Hay Haro, did you actually measure your rear axle and got 66'' (1676.4mm)?

I'm about to order an axle for my new trailer that I'm getting built. Maybe the Glx has a narrower axle? But I doubt it..:???:

That's probably about correct Steve

You would only be able to measure hub face to hub face on your truck.......axle lengths are tip to tip. That would leave you with 45mm of axle poking out through the hub each side on your trailer with the 66" axle, I'd say that's pretty close to being correct??
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby srb on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Ahhh cheers Ben. :smile: I should have thought of that but I'm just a simple sparky so you understand my problems right. ;-)

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby al coholic on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:43 pm

If you want to double check, just give the company you're ordering from the hub face measurement you already have I guess. They will be able to tell you if 66" is correct ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Greedy on Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:54 pm

Saintash wrote:Thanks Cyberhonky, i originally thought of the same thing, but the only 6 stud hub they had was the cruiser type and the middle hole .. forgive my terminology.. would not fit a triton factory rim on it because the rim has a smaller hole... hahah that sounds so noobish.. but hope you get what i mean..

thanks again..

I had this issue on my camper trailer. They machined about 1mm off (from memory) to fit the hole. I have pics of what I mean at home so will see if I can dredge them up. Long time ago now
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:51 pm

srb wrote:Hay Haro, did you actually measure your rear axle and got 66'' (1676.4mm)?

Tbh I can't remember but 66" is correct, trust me ;) . I did a lot of measuring and studying.

I looked at outlaws trailer build and he measured up 1592 and drives a GLX active and I vaguely remember coming up with the same figure as you at the beginning :?

I wouldn't usually trust alco with his chippy calculations as I've seen him at work :twisted: but he does have his finger on the pulse here :lol:

So long as you intend on running the same rims/tyres you can't go wrong :) , i hope
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:57 pm

i got new 6 stud landcruiser hubs for my trailer re-vamp and on the steel rims they fit a treat, haven't tried with an alloy rim
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:01 pm

sydneymark wrote:i got new 6 stud landcruiser hubs for my trailer re-vamp and on the steel rims they fit a treat, haven't tried with an alloy rim

I've got the same hubs and with a bit of love the alloys will fit, check my trailer build thread ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:12 pm

har05l wrote:

Tbh I can't remember but 66" is correct, trust me ;) . I did a lot of measuring and studying.

I looked at outlaws trailer build and he measured up 1592 and drives a GLX active and I vaguely remember coming up with the same figure as you at the beginning :?

I wouldn't usually trust alco with his chippy calculations as I've seen him at work :twisted: but he does have his finger on the pulse here :lol:

So long as you intend on running the same rims/tyres you can't go wrong :) , i hope

Cheers mate. ;) I'll be using my Hummer rims for the trailer and getting some +15 offset 16x8 alloys so I'll need to go a 70mm wider axle on the trailer to match the Triton. ;)

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby har05l on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:29 pm

Sounds the go steve ;)

I measured the outside track before I came to work and the ute was approx 1780mm, the trailer was approx 1760mm so I'm happy to have come within 20mm. I need to get it on the dirt or sand to get a better idea of how close it is but really It's like splitting hairs if you ask me ;)
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:38 am

Yeah I'd be happy with that. Cheers. ;-)

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sydneymark on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:54 pm

har05l wrote:
sydneymark wrote:i got new 6 stud landcruiser hubs for my trailer re-vamp and on the steel rims they fit a treat, haven't tried with an alloy rim

I've got the same hubs and with a bit of love the alloys will fit, check my trailer build thread ;)

I don't think my hubs are genuine toyota, i got my generic landcruiser hubs from spinny things.

anyhoo, just dropped the spare (alloy) out from the car to see if it fits and it's perfect, so thats one less drama for me to worry about
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Tyres & Wheels