Check Engine warning light

Petrol, gas, fuel tanks etc

Check Engine warning light

Postby straggles on Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:55 pm

Riteo

Had the check engine warning light come on a couple of days ago. Took it to a dealer here in brisbane that was near work to get it sorted for peace of mind (had the thing 2 weeks). They ended up saying it was a touch low on oil (which I had checked and know was fine) so they added a bit then the light went out.

But I drove maybe 4 ks from the dealer and the light came on. I thought it may have been a dodgy batch of fuel so I filled her up, and the light went out. Took her for a spin back to Toowoomba and no dramas. Now the light has come back on, and gone out again this afternoon in an hour trip back from a mates house.

Had no loss of power or anything like that, have about 60000 on the clock so shes still young, and its had its periodic log book servicing, any ideas boys??
If you see a Silver Flash on a dirt track somewhere out west, goin like a bat out of hell, my cousin has probably flogged my ute again!
straggles

Re: Check Engine warning light

Postby MonsterTriton on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:23 am

yea check the SCV...
it should be very cheap to replace and at your local mitsu dealer.
just call them to ask them first to make sure.
THERE IS A MONSTER IN ALL OF US
MonsterTriton

Postby Coled on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:56 pm

Hey Straggles,
Had a similar thing happen with my check engine light also. Come on, Go off, Stay on for a week, Go off for 2 weeks. Was told it was the power steering pressure swithc and when checked steering pump also on a list from MMAL to be replaced.
Both replaced and no issues since.

Cheers.
Coled

Postby subi_man on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:02 pm

The computer will store a code, which the dealer or someone with a Scanguage will be able to see (even if the engine light has gone off) - that code will pretty much tell you where the problem is
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby straggles on Fri May 01, 2009 12:18 pm

yer it ended up being a hotfix for the control valves or something similar, and they did the ubolts at the same time so it saved me a trip, no dramas now, bring on the long weekend!
If you see a Silver Flash on a dirt track somewhere out west, goin like a bat out of hell, my cousin has probably flogged my ute again!
straggles

Postby daryn on Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:44 pm

Heaps of threads on this so instead of starting a new one i have the following happening:

Had battery disconnected today.

Start up and check engine light is on.
4 wheel system lights flashing.

Disconnected for an hour.

Start up and same lights are on.

What do I do ?

All I did today was put a battery tray in.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Big Brad on Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:07 pm

My guess is you have knocked off or dislodged or inadvertently loosened a vacuum hose for the 4wd system.

Find it and push it on tight and all fixed.

I had one behind my drivers side headlight come off all on its own. Common thing apparently so Mr Mitsu said.

Brad
The next statement is True - The first statement is False
Big Brad

Postby daryn on Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:22 pm

Thanks for your suggestion Brad :)

Well this was interesting, so all I did was disconnect the battery so I could install a dual battery tray, when I next start the engine, the engine light comes on and my 4 wheel lights are flashing, the faults that were found from this today is I have a faulty power steering switch and they found a air leak in the 4wd system in a hose going to the rear diff which is why my lights were flashing.

What I dont get is why did these lights on my dash only appear after disconnecting the battery, were these faults existing prior ??? Who knows!
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby josh89 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:01 pm

i have ml triton does it have a safety overidse shut off or something as my car will start but shuts off straight away. will start every time but just keeps shutting off.
josh89

Postby mad992 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:18 pm

josh89 wrote:i have ml triton does it have a safety overidse shut off or something as my car will start but shuts off straight away. will start every time but just keeps shutting off.

is engine check light on :?:
mad992

Return to Fuel Systems