New MN GLX-R

New to the site? Introduce yourself!

New MN GLX-R

Postby Lark68 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:01 pm

Hi all,
Saw the carrot dangling in front of my face so thought I'd make the most of it. Selling the trusty ol' Prado to my brother and placed a deposit on a new MN GLX-R. Doing my research I saw that NewTriton gets quite a few mentions on other forums so I thought I'd join.
Delivery is expected around Chrissy time but still waiting on exact date. I've ordered it with factory locker, bullbar (specified ARB so hopefully they'll be ready in time but ARB still don't know when they'll be out), electric brakes, canopy (was going to be ARB but saw a Carryboy up the road and decided to change), towbar, alarm, tinted windows, & reverse sensors. It's manual wearing a gunmetal grey paintjob.
Waiting to hear back from the dealer after changing my order to scrap the factory towbar idea and go with an ARB rear step (again if they're ready in time). Looking at the pverhang of the rear, I thought I might pay a little more now and get her butt protected... if that butt is going to stuck out so much in carparks for some shmuk to come along and give it a pat I want them to come off 2nd best. Not sure if it's possible to put the reversing sensors on an ARB step? They say yes, but I might scrap them and get a camera instead.
I'm getting the electric brakes to tow the van so might go on a little trip once she's broken in to see how she goes. First brand new vehicle so really looking forward to delivery.

Cheers,
David.
MN GLXR
Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.
Lark68

Re: New MN GLX-R

Postby subi_man on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:24 am

Congrats Lark and welcome 8-)

Be interesting to see how long companies like ARB take to get their MN accessory lines sorted
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby al coholic on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:14 am

Lark68 wrote:I'm getting the electric brakes to tow the van so might go on a little trip once she's broken in to see how she goes.

Welcome to the site Lark, Im sure you will enjoy it as much as the rest of us. By electric brakes, do you mean the electric brake controller fitted in the cab????
Should be a nice little christmas present for ya, probably the most expensive one you will ever recieve though. :lol:
Cheers Ben.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby tryhard on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:16 am

hope you get it pre-Chrissie mate - I had to scrap the diff lock idea as the stealer claimed I would be a build in Dec and a delivery late Jan ... I was led to believe the diff lock was the delay - so if you get one good on ya ! Maybe just be ready for the late delivery excuses just in case ... but yours might be a better goer than mine
---

MY10 MN GLX-R 2.5 DiD Auto gunmetal grey
tryhard

Postby Lark68 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:23 am

Well, just had a call from the dealer. If I want to get the gunmetal I will have to wait until March, otherwise can choose between silver and black. Not overly keen on black so looks like she'll be silver. Because of this, he said they'll do me a better deal on the goodies I've listed. The call was from the sales rep who doesn't seem to know sh!t so when I accepted the silver he said he'll call me back in 5 once he's spoken to the head guy and worked out the prices. That was a couple of hours ago so still waiting...
Yeah Al Coholic, it's an electric brake controller for towing the van. Probably could get a better deal than going through the stealership, but it all comes to one figure and easier for paperwork and claiming back through the ABN (same as the other goodies).
Cheers,
Dave.
MN GLXR
Lark68

Postby sierra on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:12 pm

Might have been better to ask for the prices and then let them know your decision?
Bet the carrot will be very small.
sierra

Postby al coholic on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:35 pm

Lark68 wrote:Well, just had a call from the dealer. If I want to get the gunmetal I will have to wait until March, otherwise can choose between silver and black.

Thats exactly what they did with my truck David, I ordered exactly what i wanted inc 5 speed manual and factory diff lock. I sign the contract and they ring around to find the ute i want and say it will be here in 10 days. Anyway, a couple of days later they ring and say they can only get an auto with no diff lock otherwise i would have to wait for about 3 months.

I dont know how they can get away with it like they do. :? :roll: :x

BTW - GO FOR THE BLACK, It's the best colour........you know it is. :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby Lark68 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi Sierra,
Still waiting on the call (5 mins has been 7 hours) so nothing is final yet. Still have the Prado so I can wait.

al coholic, I must admit that sounds awfully familiar. They looked it up on the computer and said they should be able to deliver by Chrissy (they actually had the date as Dec 25). I do like the darker colours as they look awsome when clean and shiny but my only concern is that scratches stand out too much. The Prado is dark green and I've got a scatch along the side of it from a cut-off tree branch. Either way the dealer will probably come back and say that there's been a mix up and there'll be a delay on the other colours too to buy them another week or two.

Cheers,
Dave.
MN GLXR
Lark68

Postby Gfoss83 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:14 pm

Welcome mate.

I too am expecting my new glxr in december. i ordered it with a factory tow bar but like you after visiting the guys at ARB i think im beter off canceling the towbar and going for the rear step. its an extra $500 but if i decide to do it later then the towbar has to come off so whats the point.
Gfoss83

Postby Lark68 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:50 am

Hi Gfoss.
True that. From what I can see, it also gives better clearance and protects the bottom of the panels... the longer overhang will have it's drawbacks and $500 can save an insurance claim.
I've been thinking how interesting it will be to reverse a trailer. With the rear wheels being the pivot point and the distance from there to the towbar, it will be super responsive to the smallest of inputs on the steering wheel. Add in the convex mirrors on both sides and it will be quite a combination. At least with the Prado I can just see the edge of the trailer (the flares get in the way) but the driver's side mirror is flat so I know when it's straight... passenger mirror is convex and near impossible for the task.
MN GLXR
Lark68

Postby Gfoss83 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:06 pm

Yeah mate reversing the tradesman trailer everyday should be interesting. The rear bar should protect me from reversing too far when hooking it up aswell. I hate using the mirrors anyway, i usually try and brake my neck turning around looking out the back window all the time :) Will have to use the mirrors with the boat though, its just to big to see the back end.
Gfoss83

Postby Lark68 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:10 pm

Rang the dealer today to find out what's happening. Can get silver but no diff lock, though they said they could put in an ARB one in. Decided to hold off and wait for the Gunmetal Grey as that was what I really wanted and it will be a 2010 plate. They said the other day I would need to wait until March for the grey, now they are saying they are expecting some in January so I may be able to get one of those ones — possibly. As compensation, they'll stick with the price and not charge any extra for the difference in the ARB rear step or Carryboy Conopy (I noticed on the Conopy thread that nobody has commented on the Carryboy... anyone have one of these on their truck that can comment on them?)
Basically, they'll let me know when there's one ready. Luckily my brother is buying the Prado so I'm not going to be stuck without a vehicle.
MN GLXR
Lark68

Return to Introductions